Monday, February 18, 2008

FOX Robot Needs To Go

Okay FOX, cut the crap. That annoying FOX robot needs to go. You know the one that shows up after commercial breaks during football games, jumps up and down, runs idly and does nothing that has to do with football. I know this is way overdue, but it needs to be said...or written.

I don't know when exactly the robot debuted for FOX. I know that it's been around a long time and grew out its welcome after about one Sunday. I've never understood why Fox felt the need to add this robot to its program or the reasoning behind it. I can't even imagine a conference room somewhere in Fox's studios where the idea was uttered up by some "marketing genius" and the people in the same room ate it up as an ideal plan.

Finally, someone decided it was time to kick the robot's ass. Enter...Terminator on Super Bowl Sunday. And the Terminator did not disappoint...



Justice! Now following the Terminator movie rules for time travel, I came up with an obvious answer. Someone in the future, who finally had enough of the FOX robot and knew he would cause the downfall of mankind if he continued, programmed the Terminator to travel back into the past and destroy the robot on national TV. I thought it was over.

I was wrong. Since nobody watches the Pro Bowl, you probably missed it. The robot made a glorious return in perfect condition. And...he was sporting a grass skirt and Hawaiian lei and was doing a hula dance. I wish I were joking.

What does any of this have to do with football?!?! And don't tell me it has anything to do with the advertisements. If I were those advertisers spending a fortune to have my logo on TV for five seconds and this freaking machine was jumping around like a damn pinball, I would be pissed. The robot idea was dumb from day one and it's dumb now. I can't think of a better word for it right now. It's just dumb. Get rid of it next year, FOX. I beg you...you can keep Joe Buck around, just can the robot now.

No comments: