Thursday, January 8, 2009

Is Peyton Manning Still a Choker?

Deadspin ran a post earlier this week posing the question if Peyton Manning was still a choker after his Colts were knocked from the playoffs again last Saturday. I don't hide the fact that I don't really like Manning. I like to watch him lose, it's fun to me. I don't know where that comes from, probably because I'm scared as hell when he's going up against the Steelers. He has those commercials that you can't help but laugh at, but besides those I'm not a big fan of him.

Will that being said, is he a choker that can't win the big game? Absolutely not. I've been reading other articles about this same thing from different news outlets, and I can't believe it. Manning won a Super Bowl just two years ago. I don't care how many times he loses in the playoffs before and after that...he defeated his rival Tom Brady and the Patriots in the AFC Championship game that year and then won the big game. Dan Marino couldn't win the big one. Peyton Manning has already won a Super Bowl.

To further my point, has anyone watched the Colts team this year? The Colts running game was horrendous and their defense was mediocre at best. Manning was the MVP of the NFL this year and that was the right choice because without him, the Colts would have been 6-10. The Colts didn't lose to the Chargers because of something Manning did or did not do. The team had other problems. Earlier in Manning's career, he was choking in playoff games and throwing three or four picks to the Patriots and Ty Law. But I don't recall him making any mistakes last week against the Chargers. Plus, no matter what happens in the future, Manning still has that ring to flash to critics.

No comments: