Monday, February 2, 2009

Super Bowl XLIII

My hat is off to the Arizona Cardinals on a valiant effort and making it one of the most exciting games in Super Bowl history. But this game will be remembered for the Steelers sixth Super Bowl title, Ben's incredible game-winning drive and James Harrison's longest play in Super Bowl history. The game ended up not being how I expected it to turn out. It started out that way with the Steelers seemingly in hand leading 20-7, but then a ridiculous fourth quarter showed up to make for one exciting finish.

Could there have been any more ups and downs in this game? Starting with the Steelers looking like they were going to blow the Cards out early, only to have the Cards battle back. Then to have Harrison make an amazing effort to stop the Cardinals from taking the lead and giving the Steelers at 10-point lead at the same time. When the Steelers led 20-7, I didn't think I would be sitting there seeing the Cards have the lead at some point...and just as fast as Larry Fitzgerald streaking down the middle of the field, the lead was gone. The Steelers blew it. I thought their inability to finish teams off by settling for field goals had finally caught up to them on the biggest stage. You hold the lead the entire game and then with just under three minutes left, you're trailing. That's a sick feeling...and I'm just a fan. I can't imagine what the players were going through, and then just when you thought it was over...there was Big Ben and Santonio Holmes. Oh my, what a finish (more on that drive in another post).

Following the game, everyone always wants to compare games to the all-time greats and things like that. People love to get the lists going. The best one ever? How can anyone answer that? How about one of the most exciting ones ever. Look, it's hard to compare this game to last year's game or Super Bowl XXV or Super Bowl XXXIV. I didn't think it could get any better than last year's game with the Giants upset over the Pats, but this year I found myself on the edge of my seat once again. You can't compare all the games and say this one was better than this or that. Different time, different teams and different circumstances are factored in with each great game and what it means to everyone out there watching the game. What someone says is great might not mean a whole lot to the next person. I can't say that last night's game was the best Super Bowl of all-time, but you'd have to agree that it's in the top five of all-time exciting Super Bowls.

No comments: