Tuesday, March 3, 2009

A Sad Sight for Sunday Sports

Recently, on a Sunday night in the marvelous town of New Castle, I found myself rapidly searching through my DirecTv lineup to find some good sports to watch. The NBA network had a thrilling matchup featuring the LA Clippers (yeah, LA still has another team) and the Utah Jazz. To say that I was even remotely interested would be the overstatement of the year. I mean, seriously, can't we even get a little Kobe or Lebron? Oops, that's right, ESPN owns most of their games so they can make us believe that the NBA matters before the playoffs.

At least FSN had ACC Sunday going on. Thankfully, I get to watch two teams buried in the standings so I know what to expect when they serve as sacrificial lambs to UNC and Duke in the conference tourney. Oh, and speaking of UNC, I was amazed when I recently watched an Oklahoma-Texas matchup and realized that Dicky V. had managed to drop North Carolina's on at least half a dozen occasions. While we're at it, how about everybody quits acting shocked when the #1 team in the nation falls. Face it folks, there's no dominate team in the nation and that's not a bad thing. Hell, the only thing I feel confident about in college basketball is that 50% of my friend's brackets will be killed when Pitt undoubtedly will choke again in the sweet 16.

Anyways, back to my Sunday night dilemma. My night finally took a good turn when over on ESPN Classic, I could catch replays of classic baseball games from the last decade. Well, at least what ESPN deems as classic, which is great news if you're a Yankees, Red Sox, or Cubs fan. See, here's the problem: When you live in a country where one ignorant, Connecticut based company is the predominant source for sports information and exposure, you're going to have hundreds of thousands of frat boys sporting their backwards Boston caps who will tell you how they've been a Red Sox fan since birth. Unfortunately, 80% of these tolls still think that Manny Ramirez is in Boston. My point is this: If your favorite team doesn't play in New York, Chicago, Boston, or LA then you probably should just forget about this baseball season. After all, judging by the affiliations and predictions oozing out of ESPN's "MLB Experts" (sorry if I doubt the expert knowledge of a panel that features John Kruk), these are the only teams in the league, let alone in contention for a World Series win.

But wait...what if there were 32 teams in the league?!?! What if somebody could tell you about ALL of them?

That's where Ryan and I come in to the picture. Unlike the millionaires employed by the juggernaut that is ESPN, we see things in a different light; a light that shines on the entire league, even on cities like Pittsburgh and Baltimore!

So here's how it's going to go down... Baseball begins in a little less than a month. Conveniently, there's only six divisions in MLB. For those who don't see where this is going, let me continue. For the next month you'll be getting major league division breakdowns and predictions. So mark your calendars and mute your ESPN experts because you're about to get the low down on the next seven months worth of baseball action!

No comments: