Sunday, February 10, 2008

Next Week on As the Clemens Turns, Roger Takes Former Trainer Hostage

This Roger Clemens situation is getting ridiculous. No, we were at the ridiculous stage when Roger called a press conference to have the country listen to his 40-minute phone conversation with his former trainer Brian McNamee that revealed nothing. Now we've hit the insane stage as this story continues to get weirder. This was clearly evident on Friday when I read the latest story where McNamee claims to have injected Roger's wife with HGH. You couldn't make this stuff up for a daytime soap opera. Is it just me or is anybody else really tired of this Clemens-McNamee drama?

Everyone that knows me knows I'm a huge baseball fan...I even work in the sport and follow it everyday. But this whole situation is out of control and I just don't care anymore. The media continues to cover it because yes, it's a stunning story involving one of the premier pitchers in the history of the game. But I think a lot of people stopped caring about it a while ago, including me. It's terrible that the game has come to this with steroids, but there's nothing you can do about it since McGwire, Bonds and everybody in the Mitchell report was indicated. I'm ready to chalk this whole period as the steroids era and move on. The reports are out, testing procedures are at its strongest level ever so let's move on for the game's sake.

Roger, you are guilty...everyone knows you are guilty. Save face and fade away. You said yourself during your useless press conference that you didn't care about the Hall of Fame and all that so stop trying to clear yourself when you are clearly guilty. Maybe people could give you the benefit of the doubt, but when players who were named in the Mitchell report like Andy Pettitte and Brian Roberts come out and admit they did it, then it's hard to believe you Roger.

I have more respect for a guy like Pettitte to say, "Yeah I knew it was wrong and I did it anyway...I'm sorry, it was a mistake." Since admitting his fault, nobody is chastising Pettitte for his part in taking steroids. People make mistakes, we are a forgiving country...move on. But instead of learning a lesson from his friend, Clemens goes on national TV and lies that he's going to prove that he's innocent and make everyone sit through a conversation with his former trainer, where not once did he tell McNamee, "I'm innocent and you have to tell the people that because I've never done that to my body." Why didn't Roger just say that to him? Because it's not true. Both of them were bouncing around the truth in the conversation and the point of the call was Clemens basically telling McNamee, "After all that I've done for you, how can you rat me out." Roger took the stuff, knows that there may not be physical proof against him and made the decision to take McNamee head-on in this ongoing drama.

Every new headline I read about this each day makes me forget about Clemens' 354 career wins or his seven Cy Young awards or his 20 strikeouts in a game with Boston. The Mitchell report definitely put a dark shadow on Clemens' career, but this continuing drama and his defiance to take responsibility for his actions is ruining his legacy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now that Roger is out of the way let the real debate begin on who the best pitcher of our generation is. Maddux or Johnson?